Step into leadership by working with some of Pine’s most skilled and experienced Instructors.
The Teen Apprenticeship program equips 14-16 year olds with skills they need to excel in any leadership setting whether it be in school, the workplace, or their community. This experience allows teens to draw back the curtain to see inside the mind of a mentor and learn how Pine’s Outdoor School programs are planned, run and reflected upon.
This program was developed for teens of all experience levels. Whether you’re a seasoned Pine participant or just beginning your nature connection journey, we welcome all applicants with an interest in strengthening their connection with nature and supporting others to do the same.
There are two components to the Teen Apprenticeship, which run over 9 months (October – June):
- Training Sessions: Develop your wilderness and mentoring skills by working with other teens and experienced mentors one Saturday each month (see below for dates)
- Apprenticeship: Put your skills into practice as an Apprentice for Pine’s monthly or weekly programs (see below for options)
Participation in the Teen Apprenticeship program will follow an application process. You can find more information below.
Please note, Teen Apprentices are considered to be “participants” within the context of Pine’s policies & procedures.
2023/24 Season Details:
There are two components of the Teen Apprenticeship program. Training sessions take place monthly on Saturdays (dates below). Apprenticeship placement options are determined by the teen's age (see below for options).
Details for Teens Training Sessions at Stan Wadlow Park (East End)
Payment will be required in full when your application is accepted and you’re invited to register. If payment in full creates financial hardship for your family, please let us know and we can discuss a custom payment plan. Bursaries are available through our Bursary Fund.
Click here for registration policies. Please note, Teens are considered to be “participants” within the context of Pine’s policies and procedures.
ADDITIONAL PLACEMENT DETAILS:
*Weekend Wanderers placement options occur monthly on Sundays in the East or West End. Apprentices may choose the location for their Sunday placement.
East End (Stan Wadlow) Weekend Wanderers Training Sessions: October 15, November 12, December 3, January 14, February 4, March 3, April 14, May 5, June 2
West End (King’s Mill) Weekend Wanderers Training Sessions: October 22, November 19, December 10, January 21, February 11, March 24, April 28, May 12, June 9
*Run Wild placement options, weekly (one of):
- West End (King’s Mill Park): Mondays (4:15-6:15pm), Tuesdays (4:15-6:15pm) or Wednesdays (4:15-6:15pm)
- East End (Stan Wadlow Park): Thursdays (4:15-6:15pm)
How to apply:
In order to be considered as a Teen Apprentice:
- Complete the APPLICATION FORM – this must be completed by YOU, the teen applying! This is required for all applicants.
- Ask one adult to fill out a character REFERENCE FORM for you. A character reference is an adult who can speak about you (it could be a teacher, coach, extra-curricular leader or neighbour). This is not required for teens who took part in Pine’s LIT program in Summer 2023 or Teen Apprenticeship 2022/23.
Once you have submitted your application and we have received one character reference (for new applicants), we will review your application. If you’re invited to join the Apprenticeship program, you’ll be sent instructions on how to register.
Registration for our 2023/24 Outdoor School programs will be opening on Wednesday, May 17th at 12:00pm (noon)!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.