Program content highlights:
- Wildlife tracking
- Hazards in nature
- Edible and medicinal plant harvesting and preparations
- Tuning your senses and awareness to nature’s baseline
- Making containers and baskets from natural materials
- Making basic tools from forest resources
- Bird language
- Learning survival skills of the ancient and modern hunter-gatherer
- Making fire by friction (bow and hand drill) in various weather conditions
- Tarps, knots, and practical bushcraft
- Wilderness navigation
- Growing your naturalist skills around trees, birds, plants, etc.
- Introduction to basic survival, hunting, and trapping skills
- And much more!
Meet your Lead Instructor, Lee!
We could not be more excited that Lee will be running Wild Deer this year! Lee is an avid naturalist and frequenter of the wilds. Some of her favourite activities include looking at beautiful birds, tracking mink and deer throughout the city and geeking out with field guides. When she’s not hanging out in the ravines running programs with kids, she can be found foraging, preserving, fermenting and making all manner of goods from plants. Growing up in the Taylor Creek watershed and traveling the northeast to learn from many mentors, she is grateful to have opportunities to share her enthusiasm and passion about the beautiful planet we inhabit. Lee has much knowledge to share, and is always keen to continue growing and learning in community.
Lee will be joined by a variety of guest mentors throughout the year! We’ll share more about them in advance of the weekends they’re attending
The Wild Deer program has been such an incredible and transformative experience. I’ve seen myself change so much over my time here and I’m so thankful to everyone that I’ve connected with over the course of this journey.— Reid, 2018 Wild Deer participant
Weekend 1: Baysville (Muskoka)
Weekend 2: GTA Parks
Weekend 3: 1-1.5 hours outside of the GTA
Weekend 4: GTA Parks
Weekend 5: 1-1.5 hours outside of the GTA
Weekend 6: Camping
A payment plan is available. Bursaries are available through our Bursary Fund.